Friday, June 6, 2008

When do walks become unsportsmanship?

As the commissioner of the league, I have to address issues like this very often. I have to choice when the right time to say something is; the never ending Walks discussion has finally reached a point where I feel I need to say my peace...

[soap box]
When is the walk acceptable?
In close games, sporadically and against good top tier pitchers walks are acceptable.

Why against top tier pitchers?
Because they CAN hit the board. If they are not giving into you as a hitter and giving a pitch to hit, then take the walk. It sucks to do, but honestly alot of top tier pitchers DO NOT give hitters pitches to hit in 4-1 counts.

When are walks un-acceptable?
If you team is up by more then 5 runs, SWING THE DAMN BAT! The walk does nothing to help the league; it ruins pitching stats and makes everyone angry.

Next, it is 100% un-acceptable to walk against struggling pitchers in the league. They CAN NOT hit the board on command, so please be a good sport and swing at a couple close pitches! Just because it is not hitting the board, does not mean it is not hit-able.

If you have not put in some innings in the league, you should defiantly step up and see how it feels to not be able to hit the board or get hitters to swing at stuff even close. As a pitcher, I can tell you that sometimes you just can't hit the board, even good pitchers struggle with it.

The point of the walk in the league is simple. It is to allow hitters to get ahead of a pitcher (hitters count, 2-0, 3-1, 4-0 ect) and look for a good pitch to hit. If you consider yourself a good hitter, then you should be looking to drive the ball somewhere and looking to avoid the walk.

I understand that everyone wants to win games. Everyone wants to be the league Champ, the MVP ect; but at what expense? We are all friends playing a game that we enjoy and it allows us to be competitive. But in the end, remember that sometimes you need to forget your ambitions and agendas and just be a stand up player and show some sportsmanship!
[end soap box]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 99% the 1% I don't agree with is if you are going against one of the top tier teams and pitchers is 5 runs enough of a cushion as I have had 8-10 runs scored against me in 1 inning in the past. But I do agree.

JrRimmer said...

The COmmish hit it rigth on the head! ALL pitchers are gonna have an 'off' day but when you know that he may be one of the elite you help him out.....by swinging!! Pat last night was a great sport with that in my first game!! I just didn;t have all of my stuff and the wind was killing me. I'll take the lose. You were the better team. But unwritten rule, NO ONE ever says out loud to take walks!! EVER! Especially anyone that intends to do any pitching the rest of the year! As a Captain (which this role has been stressed this year too) you never say that, at least be clever and so your intelligence and vocab range ansd say "Use your eyes or Select your pitch". I may have gotten a bit vocal and loud after my game but shit! in a game when you mercy us and put up double digits in RUNS and WALKS. Something is a bit askew. PRACTICE! and nice game Pat!!!

Anonymous said...

Mike the earlier comment was posted by me Pat. I first want to say thank you for the good games secondly I want to say that as the captain I will do a better job of keeping my teams mouths in check as I do not want that kind of reputation as a team. Yes I want to win but not at all costs, I respect you and your team and I feel that your team is capable at of putting up a number of runs at any given moment(see almost any inning in game #2)I am sure the tables WILL be turned and probably sooner rather than later.

JrRimmer said...

Hey, thanks to the reponse. I was just hoping that mine wasn't too far out of line but, I felt like I should say it across the Internet for those who missed it! I feel that the two of us handled the whole thing well, actually very well and that needs to be an example to everyone else. Lastly, have fun with that cursed #3 spot!

Brian Meyers said...

Response to Pb4me3:

It really depends on the team and depends on whose pitching (for both teams) and if either of them are struggling.

An example, You guys are up 7 runs against The Gents in like the 4th inning. Raber is pitching like crap and your #1 is pitching a 1 hitter! Your Team certainly has the power to continue to score runs even if they are not intentionally looking for a walk and your number one is definatly not giving up runs in a lump!

I think the situation was handled great on Thursday. I was glad I was there, it allowed me to give my outside of the game opinion and help the new guys learn the game. I don't fault anyone for anything happening on Thursday. I am always cheering for the Underdog and it was awesome to see you guys power through that sweep! Your team is way different then who you played with last year and I firmly believe that as you guys continue to have sucess, you and your guys will be continue to be class act wifflers!

Many teams, including some of the better teams in the league will take walks against cellar dwelling teams. I want that to stop. Period.

I encourage the better teams in the league to not pitch their aces against the struggling teams as well. But these struggling teams need to understand that they need to lay off the walks as well, or they are going to get their @ss kicked by the teams Ace.

It is better for everyone to be able to hit and score runs. The 11walks a game crap kills the game. It's not fun, and I have never seen anyone happy about it in the end.

Another example:
Last season against the Indians, they walked like 8-9 times going into the 5th inning against our #2 pitcher. We took 3 walks (the only three of the game) to load the bases and started hitting the ball. The Indians were pissed at us for taking the walks and were very verbal about it. But did they have the right? I mean we only walked 3 times vs. 8 or 9 they took on us. The real answer is, Walks suck and it pisses everyone off!!

If the bases are loaded and your pitching too me, I am SWINGING! haha!

Unknown said...

Is it considered poor sportsmanship to swing for the fences when your team has the lead?

Brian Meyers said...

Swing away. Just don't walk :)

n8 b said...

I couldn't have said any of this better myself. I notice in the CCWA that walks are a huge problem and it does piss everybody off. So I tell my guys "see the ball, hit the ball"...

Well said Commish! Keep up the great work...